Saturday 7 March 2009

The Plane

With time to kill before taking off, I had a wander around the plane. I am sitting in the back row and was very pleased to find that the two seats next to me are empty!


I don’t have a window to look out of though, but behind me is an exit door so I can stand and stretch and look out that window if I want to. I also found out that there are economy seats on the upper deck, so keep that in mind in future if you’re going on the A-380 but I don’t remember seeing them when I was choosing my seat online. There are stairs going up to the upper deck directly behind the left hand side last row (I’m on the right hand side).


I ventured up and ended up in the galley (the hostesses probably thought I was strange, but a lot of people were going up so I wasn’t the only one I don’t think). Beyond the stairs is the upper deck economy section and beyond that, probably the millon dollar suites / first class / business class passengers.



Mealtime came around and I got served first! The meal looked awesome and no, that’s not trick photography, that really is full metal cutlery!


Despite being very yummy, I think it didn’t agree 100% with my tummy (not too bad though – and I’m thinking it was probably the ice cream dessert that did it).

Anyway, I was strangely impressed with the loo… There’s a little drawer with twin razor blades (which have business class written on them but hey, they’re down here with the plebs and on later visits, their number are decreasing), female sanitary pads and combs. Also, there is cologne, aftershave and body lotion in stylish Singapore Airline bottles, a bottle of mouthwash although you have to dilute it but you are advised not to drink the water from the tap… and several wrapped up toothbrushes with a tiny tube of toothpaste (although we also got given a flight pack with groovy pale yellow socks – which I’m wearing – and a toothbrush and toothpaste). I thought the high tech part was the tap, a mixer tap, with a cool electric mixing feature that you press the left or right buttons to make the water warmer or cooler. Also to open the rubbish bin you stand on a little pedal so you don’t have to touch the lid of the bin… ew… I am a little strange…

I am also plugged in. My laptop is running off the in-seat power socket that everyone has (that took me a very long time to find – probably because I was looking on my right arm rest and it’s at the end of the left arm rest). I was a bit hesitant at first because it said 110 volts and I didn’t know if this would be ok for my lap top but I figured that’s what the rectangular thing on the cord is for so just plugged it in and no sparks so far. So technical.

Still don’t know what’s happening when I get to Singapore in terms of my connecting flight but it will all be ok as I now have more time till my biometrics appointment (thank-you Peter!) and still need to get the passport style photo!.

Oh, don’t let me forget the entertainment system… which I actually haven’t used yet as I was busy reading the Daily Mail, then I got a massive headache – take off was really bumpy, I might even have to change my pants – bit of a nervous traveller that I am, I was gripping my seat belt (which seems to become too loose too quickly) so the bumps and reading the newspaper probably didn’t go hand in hand. Anyway, I’ve been sleeping, which, considering it was probably only about 2 or 3pm in the afternoon (UK time) is a bit decadent. And now I’m writing this blog but I will explore the system more in a moment. I have found out though, that there are many cool things on it. For example, you can learn a new language (Spanish anyone??). There is also a “PC” feature where you can plug in your usb stick and use their programs which can look at photos, or use Microsoft type applications. I’m sure it would all be a little fiddly using the little keyboard control thingy but I was keen to test it out… which is when I discovered that I have forgotten my usb stick – either that or it’s in my stowed luggage but I don’t think it is :-(. Nevermind, I believe my application is 100% ok and so I don’t need to print anything else off (positive thinking!!). I did also have a minor panic about that because having forgotten the pic I needed to check that there wasn’t anything else I forgotten, but it doesn’t look like it so far. You can also plug your ipod in if that’s what you’re into, but I’m not. I’m off for more exploring…

No comments:

Post a Comment